Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Charismatic vs. Reformed vs. Do-gooders

I've been thinking about this recently. There seem to be three main pieces to one's relationship with God: The knowledge/intellectual piece, the desire/feeling piece, and the action/works piece.  I'm sure there are many other ways to think about these things but this makes a lot of sense to me.

Different people connect with God in different ways. While every believer ought to have some knowledge, some desire, and some action, it seems that each of us naturally lean towards one of these areas more than the others. Some of us find that we come most alive to God's presence and glory by learning about theology and the Bible. Others of us come most alive to God through engaging our desires in prayer, meditation, singing, and other devotional practices. Still others connect with God most by doing good works and serving others.

It is helpful to recognize that each of these areas are given a high value in scripture. Regarding knowledge: "And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent" (John 17:3) and, "May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord" (2 Peter 1:2). Regarding the desire/emotional piece, "O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you" (Ps. 63:1), and "Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth!" (Ps. 96:1). Lastly, James shows the necessity of works by saying, "So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead" (2:17).

What I have noticed in myself and others is that the area that we naturally lean towards is probably where we are also most likely to make an idol. It's easy for me to make an idol of gaining and possessing knowledge of God. Others will be prone to idolatry by always looking for an emotional connection with God or by trusting in their good works to make them right before God.  

What is interesting is that Paul has strong words for each of these positions in his chapter on love (1 Corinthians 13). To those seeking emotional experiences, he says, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." To those prone to idolize knowledge, he says, "And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."  And to those whose religion is merely good works, he says, "If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing."

So what's the takeaway? God has made each of us unique. The way we best connect with God won't necessarily be the same way someone else best connects with God. The charismatic (often desire/feeling type) is prone to judge the reformed person (often knowledge/intellectual type) as all head and no heart. The reformed person is prone to judge the charismatic as pursuing emotional highs and forsaking wisdom and knowledge. The works/action type is prone to puff up themself as doing more practical good then both the others. And the cycle of judgment and mistrust continues, dividing Christians from one another.

We must remember Paul's warning that no matter how great our spiritual gifting is, if we are without love for God and for one another, we are nothing! Knowledge is good, desire is good, and works are good. But love is best. Pursue the former things with passion but be most concerned not to lose sight of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment