Saturday, July 27, 2013

Washington, church planting, uncertainty

It has been a few weeks since I've blogged. Anlee, Ezra and I were on vacation for two weeks in Georgia and Tennessee visiting friends and family and then on top of that, we are currently in a time of transition with lots of changes coming. This blog will be a little more personal than usual.

I am currently reading a biography of Jonathan Edwards (along with about 4 other books). At 46 years of age, Edwards was removed from the church where he had been a pastor for most of his life. A portion of a letter he wrote to a friend during this period resonated with me.

I am now, as it were, thrown upon the wide ocean of the world, and know not what will become of me and my numerous and chargeable family. Nor have any particular door in view that I depend upon to be opened for my future serviceableness...We are in the hands of God, and I bless him, I am not anxious concerning his disposal of us.

While I am not being removed from my current ministry position, I am leaving it and will be without a job in two weeks (unless something comes up before then). Two years ago, when Anlee and I moved back from South Korea and I took a position at this church in Midland, TX, I didn't figure I'd be looking for work again so soon or that I'd be considering going back to a non-ministry job, at least for a time.

But here I am. God has done a lot of work in my life over the past two years. I have changed and grown in ways that I never expected. Two years ago, I felt peace and confidence about getting back into a ministry job. I was completely content to serve in the areas of leading music/worship and leading youth. I had little to no desire to teach, preach, or serve in other leadership areas of the church. But God had other plans. I now find myself chomping at the bit to get all the experience and training I can get in the areas of teaching, preaching, and church leadership.

Furthermore, I have been having lots of thoughts of planting a church, another thing that I never wanted to do two years ago.

Let me make this clear. These are all things that I had no desire for two years ago. Nothing in me liked preaching. I would have been content never preaching again. I told this to the elders at my church this when I was getting hired. Now I think about preparing and giving sermons all the time. I've even had dreams about it. It's clear that this is a work of God and not just me deciding to change the nature of my desires and the course of my life.

Five months ago I communicated all of this to the elders of my church. I also told them that I felt something of a call to plant a church in my hometown of Stanwood. I didn't know if or when this would happen. I'm hesitant to say "God told me this", as I don't have an infallible ear. But I haven't been able to shake this sense that God is leading me to at least pursue the training and experience necessary for planting a church down the road.

So, that's how I find myself with two more weeks to go at my current position and a move to western Washington soon after that. I have no job prospects as of yet. We'll be living with my family for the time being. I have a wife and kid that I have the wonderful responsibility of providing and caring for. It is a somewhat unnerving time. As I said, I didn't expect to be here. I never could have planned this.

But like Jonathan Edwards, I hope in this: We are in the hands of God, and I bless him, I am not anxious concerning his disposal of us.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully insightful letter Derek. You can tell the Holy Spirit is presentI'm your l life. I pray the Lord opens the door for you and your family where you will best serve the needs of His family wherever and in whatever role our position that may be

    We will be praying for you and Anlee.
    Grace and Peace.
    Dan and Linda Haskins

    ReplyDelete