Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Uncertainty and doubt

This season of life has required more trust in God than usual. I often dream about how great it would be to know the future. Living with lots of uncertainty is tough. I just want to know what's going to happen. It would be much easier to put my confidence in a particular circumstance or outcome than to put it in God.

But I don't know the future. And I continue to live with lots of unanswered questions. I am left with only two options: 1) Freak out and learn to live with anxiety or, 2) learn to more fully trust God than ever before.

I have found that there are two beliefs that, if true, make all the difference in life, especially in times like this: 1) God is good, and 2) God is in control. I have always claimed to believe these two statements but that belief is being severely tested. It's tough. I don't always see God's goodness. I don't always see him working. I don't understand why things happen the way that they do.

But I must believe that he is sovereign and that he is good. Always. This is a daily decision.

How sweet are these words! "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

The words of this are great, too. Link.

1 comment: