Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Evangelism...or not

I have noticed something in my own life in the last couple of years.  I don't tell people about Jesus.  I am horrible at evangelism.  And I think the main reason is this: I have been turned off from evangelism because of the ways I've seen it done over the years.  I've seen Christians be pushy, uncaring, unloving, insensitive and prideful when telling others about the good news of a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.  It often appears that evangelism is done with motives other than love.  I don't think I am alone in having been turned off by evangelism done like this.

But I have made an equally wrong mistake.  In reacting against evangelism abuses, I have gone to the other extreme where I don't ever tell anyone about Jesus.  I just don't.  My justification is this: I tell myself that evangelism must happen through relationship.  The best way to reach people with the good news is to build relationships with them, let them know you truly care about them.  They will see your life is different and  eventually there will be opportunities to talk about Jesus.  Now, I still think that there is a lot of truth in all of that-relationships are hugely important-but here's the problem: I never get to the point where I talk about Jesus.  I so much want to avoid any resemblance to the "crazy" people who push Jesus onto others that I never bring Him up. I need to repent of this.

Jesus has called us to live with a mission.  As Jesus was sent into the world to draw people to God, so have Christians been sent to into the world to draw people to God.  Paul says, "...we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us" (2 Cor. 5:20).  God wants to speak and work through us to draw others to himself.  He is on a mission and has enlisted us to be his ambassadors.  Thus, we are on a mission.  This mission requires both our lives and our words as a witness to God's truth and love.

Five things that I need to remember and reflect on:


1. We have a mission!  God wants to use US to accomplish his great purposes.  We are part of his story. (2 Cor. 5:17-6:10)
2. Our mission is to connect people to Jesus. (Mt. 28:18-20; John 20:21)
3. Our mission is not an event; it is a lifestyle.
4. God works through us as we live out our mission. (2 Cor. 5:20; 6:1)
5. Why should we join God on his mission?  Because he came on a mission to find and save us!
(2 Cor. 5:18)

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Derek. To pick up on our "books that influenced us most" conversation from September, Dever's book on Evangelism is a good one too and addresses some of what you are lamenting here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on, Derek! I'm in the same boat. It's amazing to see the excuses I use for myself. The biggest one is "I'm a pastor. It's not about me doing evangelism, but about me getting others to do it." I sometimes think I did more for the Gospel working outside of the church than in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my brain too! I've been asking the Lord for opportunities to SPEAK the Gospel in love. It's a little scary.

    ReplyDelete