Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Honesty in Church

Recently, I have been having some conversations over email with a friend and fellow worship leader about what congregational singing should look like. Here are some thoughts that have come out of that discussion.

Is there a place for acknowledging pain, sorry, doubt, etc in congregational worship or should this time be restricted to celebration and thanksgiving?

I feel like these two areas need not be at opposite ends of the spectrum. What I mean is, we should be completely honest to God and to others about our situations and feelings, but then we should also allow the reality of God and what he's done (and is still doing) to determine how we respond to our situations and feelings. Personally, I want songs that allow me to express myself with brutal honesty while also consistently leading me to Jesus, encouraging me to see my situation in light of the gospel. I think many contemporary worship songs do a very poor job identifying with the human condition and quickly jump to "happy-go-lucky, everything's fine cause God loves me." Mark Driscoll calls them "prom songs for Jesus."

Casting Crowns sing a song called "Stained Glass Masquerade."  It talks about how many of us in church put up fronts to make it seem like we've got it all together. We "put on painted grins" and "play the part again." I think a great way to fight against this temptation is to corporately sing scathingly honest songs about the human condition and our great need for Jesus.

A big reason I feel this way is that I firmly believe that to the degree we recognize the depth of our sin, brokenness, and need, we also recognize the greatness of God's love, mercy, and satisfaction. Tim Keller puts it like this, "We are more wicked than we ever dared believe, but more loved and accepted in Christ than we ever dared hope – at the very same time."

I think that it's possible to make too light of our sin and think that we need only focus on the positive aspects of God's love and mercy. I believe that this is what many contemporary worship songs do and I think we are missing out on a lot if the songs we are giving our congregations are a steady diet of this.

I had a conversation with a guy recently about this. I did a song for special music at church that spoke about our "crooked" nature. This man didn't think this song was appropriate for church. He didn't think it was a worship song. Now, I certainly don't think we should sing a whole set of songs that turn our focus inward and focus only on the negative aspects of our sin and need. But I told this man that in my observation most of our worship songs are on the far other end of the spectrum and quickly skate past sin and brokenness and jump right to God's goodness and love. But we can't fully grasp God's goodness and love unless we first grasp our desperate need. They have to go together. I don't think we should dwell on our sin just for the sake of dwelling on our sin. The purpose is to get us to see God's love and glory in all its fullness.

One last thought. Many rock and country songs do a wonderful job probing the depths of the human condition and speaking honestly about it. This is a big reason we find these songs attractive. We can relate to "I had a bad day." Where these songs fail is offering the true hope of Jesus. If the people in our churches are finding something that relates to them in these songs on the radio, shouldn't our church songs do at least equally well in speaking to the human condition? And having done that, to then lead them to see Jesus and how he helps them right where they are?

2 comments:

  1. What are your favorite exceptions? Which congregational songs do you think do a good job of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of "Blessed Be Your Name" by Redman and "I've Had Questions" by Hughes. I think this latter one is an excellent song and I wish there were more congregational, singable songs with a similar message. There are a couple of lesser known songs that I think speak well into these things: "In Need" and "Break Our Hearts."

    In the hymns category, both new and old, the following come to mind:
    -How Deep the Father's Love for Us
    -Before the Throne of God Above
    -Come Thou Fount (with the much beloved line, "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love")
    -In Tenderness (Citizens band out of Mars Hill has a great version)
    -When I Survey/The Wonderful Cross (basically, any song that really dives into the meaning of the cross is probably going to do a good job of touching on the human condition and need for Jesus)

    I guess one of the ways to look at it is this: In our set lists, are we including songs that take human sin and suffering seriously? Some songs help us see the depths of our sin so we can see the depths of God's love (How Deep the Father's Love, Come thou Fount). Other songs, like many of the Psalms, give a legitimate place for our doubts, fears, questions, and pain (I've Had Questions). Not making these things determine our ultimate reality, but acknowledging that they exist and that God welcomes us just as we are.

    ReplyDelete