Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Good Books-"Why Men Hate Going to Church"

I like reading. And I like underlining sections that really connect with me when I'm reading. I guess my reasoning is that I may want to come back to a book at a later time and be able to easily find all the greatest quotes of the book. But the truth is, I rarely go back and open up a book I've finished. So, I figured I'd use my blog to 1) force me to go back and see what I loved most about the books I've read and 2) share what I hope are some thought-provoking, encouraging, and/or challenging quotes with the readers of my blog. As I said, I love reading, and when one finds something of great worth and quality (like a good book or a new idea), there's nothing better than sharing it with others and seeing their joy as a result.

So, once a week I am going to post several quotes from a book that I've read. Enjoy!

Today's book is one that was given to me and that I have just finished recently. It's called, "Why Men Hate Going to Church" and it's by David Murrow (who gets extra cool-points for living in Alaska). Here are some of the highlights,

"Of the planet's great religions, only Christianity has a consistent, worldwide shortage of male practitioners" (14).

"Lovey-dovey praise songs force a man to express his affection to God using words he would never, ever, ever say to another guy. Even a guy he loves. Even a guy named Jesus...Men are looking for a male leader-not a male lover" (75).

"Women are just better at 'doing church' than men are, because the rules of church favor women. The natural abilities that help a person become a star in church can be summed up in three words: verbal, studious, and sensitive" (90).

"Pastors, you are the single most important factor in your church's ability to reach men. Not what you preach, but who you are...Men respect pastors who are properly masculine. They are drawn to men who, like Jesus, embody both lion and lamb. They find macho men and sissies equally repulsive" (146-147).

"Generally speaking, the more frank and hard-hitting the teaching, the more men like it-as long as it doesn't stray into condemnation or moralism" (158).

"If the point of going to church is to pursue a relationship, you will draw more women than men. The end. Roll the credits" (166).

"Here's a mind bender: What if we canceled the children's ministry and put that effort into building up the men of the church? I firmly believe that such an approach would, in the long run, win more youth to Christ. I would also save more marriages and produce happier women. Children's ministry and youth ministry are good things-but spiritually healthy male role models are the best thing" (190).

No comments:

Post a Comment