Thursday, February 7, 2013

Good Books

I like lists.  I always find it easier to read things that are in lists.  So with the hope that some of you reading this might be like me, here's a list of some of the best books I've read in the past few years.  Disclaimer, I don't read across very many genres.  I wish I did.  I mostly read Christian living/theology/Christian ministry books.  Probably really boring to many but I find them exciting.  So here's the list...

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy.  by Eric Metaxas.  Best biography I've ever read.  I guess it would be pretty hard to write a boring biography of a pastor who tried to kill Hitler.

The Reason for God.  by Tim Keller.  Excellent defense of belief in God.  Tim Keller rocks.

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God.  by J.I. Packer.  Great discussion of how God's sovereignty and man's responsibility work together.

Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther.  by Roland Bainton.  Another excellent biography of an amazing life.

The Renovation of the Church.  Great book on moving from shallow, seeker-sensitive church to deep, discipleship-minded church.  I underlined a lot.

The Great Divorce.  by C.S Lewis.  Imaginative look at heaven and hell. 

The Twilight of Athiesm: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World.  by Alistair McGrath.  A meticulous, reasoned study of the history of atheism from 18th century to today.  Made me want to read more of McGrath's work.  McGrath is a former athiest and currently a professor at King's College in London.










No comments:

Post a Comment